Now that we have entered into December, I think I can review 2015 which passed by at a lightning speed.
Let me start with some resolutions I made with myself for 2015. Here you can read about it.
My last years resolutions.
I said that I would:
1. Understand computer networks
Thought process: The plan was to read a book or two until I have a basic understanding of the topic.
Reason for failure/success: I think this went really low on my list of priorities.
2. Stick to one side project
Result: Mixed feelings.
Thought process: As history have suggested, I keep wandering from ideas to ideas and never actually end up doing one thing completely. So I had decided last year that I will be working on just one thing. And believe me I had said no to friends for side projects they wanted me to be involved with. I ended up starting ‘At a happy place‘ in January and it has been 11 months since I have been working on this. Although for the last few months I have not been able to give it time as much as I would have wished to. But I think the project still needs a lot more work and I have some really cool ideas for the project which I have no idea how I can implement them. 🙂
Reason for failure/success: I would not go ahead and call this a failure. This was definitely not a failure but I would also say I am not fully satisfied with the progress so far on it.
3. Do more open source contributions
Result: Mixed feelings.
Thought process: I started doing open source contribution somewhere around mid 2014 and I wrote this straight from the heart post about contributing to open source.
You can see my github open-source contribution chart for this year. Its not the prettiest thing you will see but it has improved a lot this year. But that being said I could have done a lot more.
Reason for failure/success: I can`t call this an outright success or a failure either. I would rather say that there is a lot more I could have done.
4. Read more non-tech books(at least 4)
Thought process: The plan was to read more books to get a broader sense of things and pick up style of writing of the people who are professionals as I believe I need to improve upon my style of writing.
I ended up reading 4 John Grasham`s novel. I really liked his style of writing. I also read a couple of other non-fiction books. In all I think I read 6 books.
Reason for failure/success: I would definitely call this a success as I have achieved the target I had set for myself. But now looking back at it, I think I will set a more difficult target for myself for the future as reading 4 books in an year is no big deal.
Now moving on to see how things went in my professional and personal life.
- Spoke at 2 international conferences in Belgium and Israel. So this makes it 5 conferences so far.
- Became a collaborator on medium_editor open source project.
- Started working on angular js.
- As I had mentioned in my last years post, we were looking forward to welcome a special new member to our family. God blessed my sister with a healthy baby and we call him “Manny”.
- I did travel this year. I visited New York, Chicago, Ghent, Barcelona and Jerusalem this year. And also did 3 or 4 local trips with friends. So it was all round a fun filled year.
- I did skydiving from 5000 meters in Barcelona which was pretty scary and fun at the same time. Here is the video.
- I ran my first ever 10kms marathon.
- A friend of mine and I had a horrific accident on a road trip. But all is good now.
What about 2016 ?
I have not actually thought of resolutions for this year. But I would like to improve upon a few things namely contributing to open source projects as it is a very satisfying experience. I would like to speak at more conferences as it gives me opportunity to make new friends and travel to different places. I would also like to improve ‘At a happy place’ as I know it could be a really good project. I would definitely like to learn a lot more about computer science in general and not just things related to my work. Also I would like to taste the ‘startup bug’ about which I have been thinking (thats all I have done) for past 2 years now.
Some moments from 2015:
I hope the world have a great 2016 which is full of peace and harmony and less of terrorism… and as Ellen says it “Be kind to one another everyone” …. !!